The world has been in the grip of a pandemic for almost two years and COVID cases are on the rise. It has now become extremely important to take care of yourself and your body. Despite searching for a solution for more than a year now, it is still unknown what will work and what will not. The medical fraternity has found that the only solution is to take care of the body by eating immunity-boosting foods and exercising regularly.
Here are the top 5 immunity-boosting food items that will help fight COVID-19 and keep you safe.
5 Food Items To Boost Your Immunity Against COVID-19
- Citrus Fruits: Onion, garlic, berries and carrots are foods rich in antioxidants. Including them in your diet regularly will increase immunity. These foods are rich in vitamins B, C and E, essential for strong immunity.
- Antioxidant Foods: Regularly including grapefruits, clementine, lemons, and oranges strengthens the immune system. They help increase the production of white blood cells in the body, which is necessary to fight the onslaught of diseases.
- Fermented Foods: Fermented foods like homemade pickles, yoghurt and others are very good for the health of your intestine. They increase the good bacteria in the gut and help treat common stomach issues such as acidity, gas, constipation and bloating.
- Vitamins: Of all the vitamins available, vitamins C and D are the most essential for boosting immunity. Egg yolks, rich in vitamin D and citrus fruits like oranges, lemons and amla are vitamin C-rich.
- Zinc: Another essential nutrient that strengthens the immune systems and enhances metabolism, zinc is found in foods such as pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, chickpeas and others.
What More Should You Do Fight COVID 19
A nutritious diet not only helps strengthen the immune system, which is essential not only during the pandemic but also to keeps away common diseases. Include fermented foods, vitamins E, D and C, antioxidants and zinc to keep your body strong.
Apart from the foods mentioned above, include broccoli, ghee and yoghurt because you are what you choose to eat.
Your diet should be balanced, and your lifestyle should be healthy. This is the time when following a healthy lifestyle will make all the difference between sickness and health. Eat well, sleep well and exercise well.
If you eat well, your digestive system will be in good health. Eating foods like kombucha, homemade pickles, yoghurt, cheese and others help keep diseases away. They increase the micro-biomes in the gut, which determine the processing of harmful bacteria and nutrients in the stomach. This is essential for strong immunity.
Keep yourself hydrated and drink plenty of water as this essential liquid helps in the production of white blood cells carrying lymph in the body. Even vegetables and fruits like watermelon, cucumber and celery have high water content. Some ways to increase water intake include green tea, mint or melon-infused water and others.
COVID Protection Measures
Adopting the following measures will help protect yourself from COVID.
- Use alcohol-based sanitisers to clean your hands regularly.
2. If using soap and water, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
3. Cover your face your elbow or tissue or when sneezing or coughing. Do not reuse the tissue.
4. If you know someone who has a fever and cough, avoid close contact with them.
5. Follow social distancing.
6. Wear a mask when going out.
7. If you have a sore throat, difficulty breathing, cough and fever, consult a doctor and get yourself tested immediately.
8. Do not touch your mouth, nose and eyes.
9. Include immunity-boosting foods in your diet.
These foods will boost your immunity and help fight off the onslaught of COVID. Apart from these, adopt the COVID protection measures given above. Sleep for at least 8 hours a day because lack of sleep makes your body susceptible to diseases. Keep yourself hydrated – you can drink water, green tea, eat hydrating foods like watermelons and cucumbers.
Also essential is to keep exercising. Doctors advise regular yoga and breathing exercises to strengthen your lungs. And finally, stay at home as much as possible. You are doing a favour to society and yourself by staying in.
Kritika Singh is a beauty and skincare lover. To give wings to her love for the same she blogs at ApunKaChoice.com, an entertainment and lifestyle blog dedicated to keeping you entertained as you take care of your health, skin, and hair. When not blogging, you would see her hopping cafes and sipping a cuppa.