Winter months are normally welcomed by everyone in North India as this time one can wear layers of clothes and not called Fat, style their hairs in any formation, eat lots of Rewries, Chikkies and Gajar ka halwa, etc.
But winter is a time when everyone need to take proper care of their hairs. So how to go about it – renowned Shahnaz Husain, Chairperson of the Shahnaz Hussain Group has the following tips for you.
She says that applying hair packs that suit your hair type is the best way out for shining hair. Hair packs help to provide extra care to the hair to maintain or restore its health. Hair Packs comprise of a hair paste made with various ingredients. Many ingredients from the kitchen shelf can be combined and used as a hair pack. Leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour. A plastic shower cap may be worn over the hair, to allow better absorption. Wash off.
Here are some hair packs to provide extra care for your hair, making it look healthy and lustrous:
- Egg and banana pack – this makes a wonderful hair conditioning back and also adds shine. Take two ripe bananas, 2 eggs, the juice of a lemon and 2 Vitamin E Capsules. Mix together into a paste. Apply on the hair and wear a plastic shower cap. Leave on for half an hour and then wash the hair.
- Dandruff is common during winter and makes the hair dull. Soak fenugreek (methi) seeds overnight in water. Grind them into a paste. Add 2 teaspoons each olive oil and a paste of hibiscus leaves and flowers. Apply the paste on the scalp and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse well with water.
- Avocado can be used in hair packs. The protein and oil contents of avocado nourish the hair, adding body and shine. For a hair pack, take one avocado and mash into a pulp. Add one tablespoon green tea, one tablespoon fenugreek (methi) seed powder. Mix into a paste, adding lukewarm water. Apply and wash it off after half an hour.
- Coconut milk is extremely nourishing and softening for the hair. It is said to add lustre and also promote growth, being rich in protein, essential fats, iron and manganese. Mix one cup coconut milk with powder of curry leaves and 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan). Curry leaves are rich sources of beta-carotene and protein, which encourage healthy hair growth. Apply and leave on for an hour. Wash off.
- Milk has been a favourite beauty aid for generations. For one thing, it is so easily available in every home. Milk has softening and nourishing properties and also adds shine. A pre-shampoo treatment can also be done with a hair pack containing powdered milk and egg yolk. Add a little water to make a thick paste. Apply it on the hair. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and wash hair.
- Once a week, give your hair a deep conditioning treatment. Mix together one egg, one tablespoon pure almond oil, the juice of a lemon and one teaspoon pure glycerine. Apply. Wear a plastic shower cap and keep for an hour, before washing the hair.